Presidents

University Presidents

 

Dr. Raymond O. Corvin,(1946-1961) born in southern Oklahoma, was a leader in the movement to create an IPHC school in the West.  As a college student he had dreamed of starting a school. In the early 1940's, Corvin, Oral Roberts, C.H. Williams, and others began to toward that goal. In 1945, the general denomination approved the development of a school for ministry preparation, a correspondence course, and issued a mandate to develop the school into a junior college as soon as possible. Corvin held degrees from Holmes Theological Seminary, Newberry College, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and the University of Oklahoma.  He authored, David and His Mighty Men (Eerdmans, 1950) and Looking at the Future Through the Eyes of Daniel (Advocate, 1973). His impressive educational resume, as well as his practical experience in ministry, made him a natural choice for the role of president.

 

 

 W.R. Corvin ( 1961-1975), brother to the first President, Corvin received his PhD from the University of Oklahoma.  During his tenure the school experienced tremendous growth, soaring from 83 students to nearly 3,000.  They physical campus expanded from 15 to 41 acres. He led the institution into accredited status with North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Curriculum offerings expanded to include A.A. degrees and three Bachelor degrees; correspondence and evening courses were added for working adults.  Additionally, the Muse Memorial Lectures began, the Great Life Singers formed and traveled the continent, and the college was established as a solid academic institution.

 

 Hugh Morgan (1975- Feb. 1977), a 19 year veteran of the Air Force chaplaincy, Morgan took the helm in a turbulent time as outside dissidents provoked Iranian student protests on campus, external financial trials necessitated many severe internal and external cutbacks and many hard decisions. Through his wise and strong leadership the school survived and paved the way for its rebirth.

 

Scott T. Muse (Feb. 1977-1980), an alum of the school and the grandson of an early church leader from Oklahoma, Muse established the Pentecostal Resource Collection while President of the Southwestern Alumni Association (1968).

 

Dr. Frank G. Tunstall (1980-1981) first came to the Tenth Street campus of Southwestern in 1969 as the Dean of Religious Life. While there, he authored Dinah Went Out on the Town: A Pentecostal Looks at the New Morality (Advocate, 1976) based on his presentation at the 1975 King Memorial Lectures at Emmanuel College in Georgia.  Tunstall, along with Corvin was instumental in launching the Muse Memorial Lecture series at Southwestern.  After the resignation of Scott T. Muse, he assumed the presidency until he left to found a church.

 

 Dr. Vinson G. Synan ( 1981, Interim).  As the school began a restructuring from a junior college to a ministry preparation school, Synan was appointed as interim.  He had served the campus as history instructor and the parent denomination as assistant general superintendent.  A well-known historian, his book, The Holiness-Pentecostal Movement in the United States (Eerdmans, 1971) has since become a standard in the field of American church history.

 

 Leroy Baker (1981-1983).  A noted IPHC evangelist and denominational leader, and a Southwestern alumnus, Baker was charged with the task of relocating and revitalizing a refitted school.  He embraced a back to basics approach emphasizing an educational environment for those who desired to "give their life in service to Jesus Christ."

 

 Dr. Frank G. Tunstall (1983-1989), began a second historic term as President and led the institution through a building program that added most of the current structures on the campus.

 

Leon O. Stewart (1989-1990) assumed the presidency after leaving the officce General Superintendent of the IPHC (1981-1989). A graduate of Holmes Theological Seminary he brought many years of adminstrative and ministry experience.  He authored the first fictional work of the IPHC, Too Late (Advocate, 1958).

 

 Ron Moore (1990-1998),  A pastor and church leader from South Carolina, Moore transferred to Oklahoma to assist the well-known church leader, R.L. Rex, in the World Missions Department of the IPHC. Southwestern would benefit from his over 20 years administrative leadership as under his term the Graduate School of Ministry was launched and enrollment reached new records.

 

 Bob R. Ely (1998-2009), an alum of Southwestern and a well known pastor, conference leader, and evangelist for the denomination oversaw the transition of the college into a full university (the first in denominational history) and the adoption of its current name Southwestern Christian University.   The campus underwent significant physical revitalization and launched the first 25-year Master Plan, and the addition of an adult degree completion program.

   J.Dwight Burchette (2009, Interim)
   Ed Huckeby (2009 -  )