Southwestern Christian University is a Christ-centered liberal arts institution equipping students for a life of learning, leadership, and service; integrating faith, learning, and living; and empowering graduates to excel and to positively impact their world for Jesus Christ.
Scholarship • Spirit • Service
Southwestern Christian University is a private, four-year Christian university located on a beautifully wooded campus in the Bethany area of metropolitan Oklahoma City. Students enjoy all of the benefits the Oklahoma City metro area has to offer while nestled safe in the quiet and friendly suburban community of Bethany, Oklahoma.
SCU was established in 1946 by the International Pentecostal Holiness Church as Southwestern Bible College. In the 1960's, the student population increased and as various junior college programs were developed, the institution received accreditation from the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. In 1973, the junior college received accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and was approved as a four-year baccalaureate-level, degree-granting college in the field of religion in 1979. In the Fall of 1981, SCU transitioned into Southwestern College of Christian Ministries, selling the old campus once located on 4700 NW 10th and opening its doors at its present location in Bethany. The name of the institution was changed to Southwestern Christian University in 2001 and continues to expand curriculum offerings each year.
Accreditation and Affiliation
- Higher Learning Commission
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Students can choose from over 14 academic departments divided among three schools: School of Professional Studies, School of Arts and Sciences, School of Adult and Graduate Studies
Graduate degrees include of Master of Arts in Ministry and the Master of Arts in Theological Studies.
- 5 student organizations
- 12 intramural sports
- Recently completed expansion of living facilities, now with three residence halls to choose from. Three-story dormitory added in the Fall of 2011 with rooms that come equipped with a mini-refrigerator, microwave, and some rooms have a living room with a flat screen television.
- Southwestern Christian is a dual member of both the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the National Christian Collegiate Athletic Association (NCCAA).
- 16 collegiate sports to choose from including basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, cross country, track and field, golf, tennis, and cheer.
Send Mail to:
P.O. Box 340
Bethany, OK 73008