New Paradigms of Learning Are Rapidly Emerging
The coaching movement is building up a head of steam as it becomes an increasingly hot topic in today’s world. Hot, because it focuses on the issues that are pivotal for most post-moderns, primarily the issues of personal growth and development.
However, it seems that not everyone whose using the term coach, has a clear sense of what it means. Do you?
It's frequently been confused with its first cousin, counseling. Or often its interchanged for the word mentoring. Although coaching is closely related, in the truest sense, it is neither. What is it? Here are a few items of clarifications that will hopefully help us grasp a true understanding of the concept of coaching.
1. A coach is a change expert who helps leaders take responsibility to act and maximize their potential.
2. Coaching is an ongoing relationship that helps people produce extraordinary results in their lives, careers, businesses or organizations.
3. Coaching is not new discipline, however it is a fairly new vocation.
4. Coaching is the second fastest growing vocation globally, second to IT.
5. Coaching is a first cousin to mentoring and counseling, yet with different outcomes.
6. Coaching is not so much fixing people rather, its about helping them take stewardship of their own life.
7. Coaching is not about telling people what to do, it's about helping them discover what to do.
8. Coaching is about pushing the client for answers.
9. Coaching forces people to do the thinking.
10. Coaching produces leaders rather than followers.
Admittedly, coaching is not the only skill needed to navigate the complex landscape of today's world, yet it is a very important one.
Do you coach? Do you have one? Need more information? Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org .
Mon, May 10, 2010
by John Chasteen/HeyCoachJohn filed under