The University Library welcomes gifts and donations with the following limitations:
- Gifts are gratefully accepted with the understanding that there are no conditions attached to their usage.
- Gifts may be added to the collection where appropriate, sold or exchanged for materials that are more appropriate, or discarded.
- Gifts of old books, periodicals, old encyclopedias, and damaged materials are generally declined.
- Gifts to SCU Archives will be accepted according to the Archives Collection Development Policy and the space limitations of the collection.
- The Library Director will determine the classification, housing, and circulation policies of all gift items. Most gifts will not be kept as a separate collection, but will be individually placed throughout the collection where they would be normally classified.
- Gifts of art will be considered based upon the prior approval of a photo or description of the art piece. Due to limited space for displaying the art as well as limited resources for mounting, lighting, and providing security for the art pieces, the acceptance of works of art will, of necessity, be carefully considered.
- Faculty and alumni authors are encouraged to donate a copy of their works which are within the scope of the collection.
- The appraisal of a gift for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor, since they benefit from the tax deduction.
- Donors wishing a listing of item donated should provide for that prior to donation as the library cannot provide it for the donor.
- All gifts are acknowledged with a letter from the SCU Business Office.
Donations of cash are also welcomed for library or collection development. Checks can be made out to the SCU Business Office and note on the memo "Library resources".